Friday, October 14, 2011

Hats and Hosta updates

You may remember that during the summer I got invited to sit and paint in a  beautiful hosta garden as part of a fund raiser. People who would also be going for a lovely tea in a local church basement toured the garden throughout the afternoon.  I had never tried to paint in public before, and decided, since acrylics dry much too fast for me outdoors, that I'd work in watercolour.  Well, I didn't think it would be very interesting to have others watching paint dry, so I got three different hosta paintings started before I arrived, and then worked on which ever ones were dry enough to proceed.  It was an interesting day for me, and I hope those wandering through enjoyed it too. 
I never would have had the courage though, if it had not been for the fact that we were supposed to wear hats, since the event was called Hats and Hostas.  I have a hat that I thought would get more attention than anything I was painting, so that gave me courage. 


Summer is over, but I thought I should share those paintings, now that they are finished.  Tell me, do you like one better than the rest? 

4 comments:

  1. Your hat is awesome! Did it garner lots of attention? Which painting do I like the best? That's a tough one! They're all beautiful! In fact, at first I thought they were photos. I asked the Engineer's opinion and he says the first one. I'm still trying to decide between the second and the third. I think you better hang them as a series of three. They'll look stunning on the wall!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, that hat got LOTS of attention. In fact, one man told me that seeing this the hat alone was worth at least part of the admission price to the event. :)
    The middle one seems to be getting more approval than the others, which surprises me. I had hoped to soften the inside edges of the varigated parts, but the paint seems to be more of a staining variety than I thought, and refuses to dissolve, as hoped. Nice to know others like it as it feels almost unfinished to me.
    I think I'll make cards out of these next spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the two last ones. I like the colours. I also like the hat. If I had a hat like that, I would wear it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hat was given to me by a dear friend. It collapses down so it's easily stored. I have no shortage of fabulous red hats, being a Red Hatter, but nothing compares to this one.

    ReplyDelete